Monday, May 18, 2009

We had a terrifying encounter over the weekend. I don't know think I have ever written about our daughters allergy to dairy on this blog . You can read her story here.

In our office we have a box of different chocolate bars which were put there by a charity group. They collect the money once a month and replenish the bars when they start to get low. Well, this morning she decided that she would try one of these delightfully looking confections and ate a few pieces of the milk chocolate. My husband heard her coughing and when he came upstairs her cheeks had broken out in hives and her eyes were beginning to swell. She was all stuffed up as well and her nose was running profusely. I rushed her upstairs and gave her some Benadryl. The coughing subsided and her swelling went down, but she wasn't the same all day. Her cheery attitude was diminished and she was quite sullen.

I don't think we will be selling those bars anymore. The next time the charity comes to refill the box, we are going to ask him to take them away. We can't risk this happening again.

Tomorrow I have to make an appointment with our doctor to discuss an Epipen. I'm too scared not to own one for her sake.

My husband and I are still shaken up over this. I can still feel my heart in my throat.

It is so hard to see your child suffering and in so much pain!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG...I can't even imagine how it must have been for you. I already get hysterical when they cough, let alone if one of them should have an allergy. No, it's horrible to see your child suffer....I would give my all, if I could, only to have them protected from any suffer and or pain - like all parents of course.
Will you write about the appointment with your doctor as well?? XXX, Carmie.

Jaden Paige said...

Yeah, I can see why you would still be shaken up! I agree with C.T.... I'm the type to get up and check on my daughter in the middle of the night if I hear hear coughing, so to have something like that happen must have been terrifying! Let us know how things work out... I hope you get an Epi-Pen, just in case... but I also hope the time never comes that you have to use it :)

ewe are here said...

Scary. And allergic reactions can increase in severity after repeated exposures, i've heard, so definitely get a few epi-pens for emergencies.

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

I can only imagine how scary that was! Thankfully she's okay. My son has a seafood allergy and we have the Epi-pen. One home and one at school.

Nadia said...

C.T.: I called the doctor's office this morning and they can't fit her in until June as they are booked up. There is no dairy in our house other than those bars which we have removed so I'm not too worried about it. It was a huge scare though and I would feel much better having an EpiPen handy in case of an emergency (restaurants, outings, etc).

Jaden Paige: Thank you! Me as well. Hoping to never have to use the darn thing!

Ewe are here: I was not aware of the intensity increasing. Good to know!

Justice Jonesie: EpiPen is definitely a must for us I think.

Unknown said...

You strong and committed parents, that must have been a terrifying thing. Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Ohw yes, I believe you! It would be better to have that EpiPen in your bag.