Sunday, May 24, 2009

Questions

What would relationships be like if we kept our childhood innocence and honesty intact? If we took off our adult "masks" and were able to be ourselves without the artificial hullaballoo. How do we fall into that trap? As the years go by we experience more, live more, become wiser and perhaps become less rigid in our views. Becoming more understanding and sympathetic are other qualities that usually come over time. What I don't understand is why so many find the need to act with a lack of sincerity? Why is there so much phoniness in the world? Why is it so hard for some people to be genuine? Is it fear? If so, fear of what? Acceptance? Why are we in such dire need of acceptance?

All these questions and all I get are answers that don't make sense.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thàt's what I would like to know as well!! Verrrrry good question.

Beck said...

I think that childhood innocence has a rough job surviving the boundaries of childhood. The knowledge that not everyone has your best interests at heart, that not everyone is kindly-intentioned, has its way of making us more guarded and closed-off.

The best sorts of people learn compassion as they leave childhood behind, I think, and that's a worthy trade-off.

Nadia said...

Beck: The honesty of a child, the way they are so non judgmental and look at people as they are for who they really are without a stigma attached is what I admire.

It is a vicious circle. Mean spirited people then make others guarded I do agree, but if everyone was too end their little games and temper tantrums the world would be such a prettier place for both parties.

Banteringblonde said...

i agree... it feeds on itself. I trust ya til ya burn me then forget it!

Woman in a Window said...

It's very complicated. (D'uh, erin.) We all come at relationships with so much disparate baggage, perspectives, contexts. Often even when we try our best we hurt one another, alienate. All we can do is keep trying, I suppose.

But as to children...sometimes their honesty hurts. I was watching my daughter with her friend today. She was tired and just wanted to be alone. She hadn't developed the skills to calmly discharge him, instead she was very honest and told him to go, she was tired of him. Of course he was hurt. I tried to teach her how she couldn't be subtle next time with the same result for her, but sparing his feelings. You see? Complicated.

Nadia said...

Erin: Very well put and yes I agree completely.

jane said...

good question. i guess we have to pick and choose our friends wisely. maybe that´s why i don´t have many friends:)... hugs-jane